The past few years I have made the girls matching holiday pj's. Usually its pants and a top. This year I was feeling like nightgowns. Mostly because I knew that my littlest miss would not wear baggy pj pants. I had stashed away a pattern last year (?) but when I opened it up and looked it over I realized it was the adult pattern. I do have to say I was tempted to have us all match but decided against it. Five pj's may have sent me over the edge. With no time to get another kids pattern, I decided to make my own. I had seen it done so many time before on other blogs and in books, surely I could do it.
I was a bit over confident because when I sewed up the first one it looked too big so I tried to cut it down. That made it too tight. I didn't have any more fabric so it had to work (and did in the end). The second one I sewed was for the oldest and it was so big it could fit me. You can see where this is going. In the end the middle child got the best night gown. It fit perfectly because I learned from my mistakes. Three's a charm, I guess. I do have to say, it was fun branching out from patterns even with the mistakes. Liberating, in a way. Knowing what you want and making it come true. Love that.
These silly girls were thrilled with their night gowns and they loved being matching. They didn't even see the mistakes. What a lucky mama I am!